The average woman would do anything to have firm, perky breasts. And many do believe that wearing bra to bed everyday will enable them to achieve that dream! However, experts are warning that wearing bra to bed does have debilitating effects on a woman’s overall health.
How does wearing a bra to bed affect your health? This way…
• It impedes circulation: According to Medical Anthropologist, Sydney Singer, when you sleep in your bra, especially if your bra has underwire, your circulation suffers. If the wire is too tight against your skin, your muscles will be constricted, affecting the circulation of the nerves in your arms. Wearing a snug-fitting bra to bed, including a sports bra, can hurt breast tissue due to constantly restricted circulation.
• It causes restlessness: Being constricted, even slightly, can affect your sleep. Much like wearing clothing to bed that’s too tight, wearing a bra can cause restlessness due to irritation that you may not even notice. Wearing a bra to bed can prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep.
• It may cause hyperpigmentation: Singer, who is a co-author of Dressed to Kill: The Link Between Breast Cancer and Bras, warn that hyperpigmentation is the general term for dark spots, discoloration or uneven skin tone. It’s a condition caused by increased levels of melanin, which is the pigment in the body that determines skin colour. Bras that are too tight can cause hyperpigmentation by constantly rubbing against your skin, causing friction, irritation and damaging your skin.
• It may result in breast fungus: Regularly wearing an ill-fitting bra to bed can create the perfect warm and moist environment that fungi loves to breed in. Since most women wear bras that don’t fit properly, the chance of developing breast fungus may be more likely than you think. This is especially true if you wear a bra at night.
• It causes skin irritation: Wearing a bra to bed can easily cause skin irritation. The hooks and straps can protrude into your skin, eventually causing lesions or even cysts if left for too long, particularly if the bra is underwire. While you may not notice any discomfort while falling asleep, your body is sure to suffer irritation throughout the night.
• It affects the physiology of the breasts: Singer, who is also a breast cancer researcher says wearing a constrictive bra to bed can impair blood flow and lymphatic drainage. A too-tight bra can lead to chronic inflammation and fluid retention. The lymph glands help remove toxins from the breast area, so impaired lymph drainage can negatively affect the liver, kidneys and other parts of the body by keeping toxins in, instead of pushing them out. It could also cause breast cancer.
• Singer has this to say, “Sleeping in a bra is the worst thing to do for the breasts. Bra-free women have about the same incidence of breast cancer as men, while the incidence rises the tighter and longer a bra is worn, to over 100 times higher for a 24/7 bra user compared to bra-free. The compression of the breast tissue by the bra, which is evident by seeing red marks or indentations in the skin from the bra, results in fluid and toxin accumulation, causing pain, cysts, and ultimately, cancer. To find out if your bra is harming your breasts, try going bra-free for one month and feel the difference.”
The bottom line: If you sleep in your bra, it might be time to make a change. Your whole body will thank you for it!
EnterGhana.com | Credit: Eonlineghana.com | Ladies, wearing bra to bed everyday is very bad for your health